It’s our mission at HearYourselfThink to reveal the tactics propagandists use to short-circuit our higher thinking, empower people to reject toxic, inflammatory media and bend the curve in our culture back towards the truth-seeking Enlightenment values of our Founders.
Our training, “Making Reason the Loudest Voice in the Room: Communication Training for a Propaganda Era,” educates and equips citizens to have effective conversations that cut through misinformation and conspiracy, create moments of insight around media influence, cultivate self-reflection and rebuild the civic connections that are necessary for democracy to flourish. Through our training and support network, we:
- Explore the changes in our media and culture that help explain why our politics have become so dark, toxic and tribal;
- Reveal the methods propagandists and demagogues use to exploit the weaknesses and needs we all have – for meaning, for security, for validation, for a “tribe” to defend us;
- Teach the fundamentals of effective conversations, including: establishing trust; using active listening skills; asking open-ended questions and following up to explore deeper motivations, needs and beliefs; finding areas of agreement based on inarguable values and laying the foundation for ongoing communication.
- Practice the “HearYourselfThink Method” for having interactions that break down walls of polarization and distrust, get people thinking critically about context, nuance, media influence and have the power to change people’s attitudes and behavior.
- Provide support, morale, continued learning and engagement – through webinars, conference and coaching calls, an online group, and in-person meetups – as people begin to apply the strategies they’ve learned to the advocacy and organizing work they’re already doing.
Register to attend a training below, or donate to help us bring it to more people!
Here’s what people are saying about our training:
How often when someone says something outlandish, straight off Fox News, are we silent, not wanting to start an argument and ruin the evening for everyone around us?
HearYourselfThink founders Dave and Erin Ninehouser have broken the code on fear-based reporting that passes for news. They explain the process by which people are pulled into the echo chamber of hate and fear, then they offer communication tools to initiate a civil conversation with Fox devotees. We no longer have to sit silently, biting our tongues.
— Marcia and Ron Bandes, Pittsburgh, PA
[I learned that] Faux “News” & hate radio do not only target an individual’s fear, they target a vulnerable person’s sense of diminished value. This is very powerful!
— Carolyn Doric, Harrisburg
I learned how to help turn this problem around. When you want to get someone to think, show empathy and show what you have in common.
— Phyllis Fields, Philadelphia